A Day in the Life of a Volunteer
What does a day in the life of a volunteer look like? The answer to this can vary based on the organization, the person’s role & their time commitment.
The best part about volunteering is that any contribution counts. If you only have a few hours on your day off once a week, that’s okay! Most organizations will be grateful for any time you can offer & do their best to accommodate your schedule.
A day in the life of a volunteer might look very different for one person versus another!
If you’re working at a women’s shelter, your morning might look something like this:
● Arrive at the women’s shelter
● Sign in on the timesheet
● Check in with your advisor for that day’s tasks
● Start where you’re assigned (or on the most urgent task)
As you move further into your day, your tasks might shift!
You might encounter jobs like:
● Cooking or serving meals for women who use the shelter
● Cleaning rooms, remaking beds, or doing laundry
● Answering calls from potential visitors or other shelters
● Adjusting priorities based on situations that pop up
If you work a full volunteer shift at the women’s shelter, you might help with closing at the end of the day.
This can include:
● Bringing in signs from the street
● Preparing materials for the next day
● Working late as support staff for those who need help after hours
● Closing windows, doors & computer systems to protect the organization overnight
Whatever your role & whatever the organization, any day as a volunteer is bound to be an exciting one! With ever-changing priorities and an abundance of tasks that need to be done, you’ll never run out of things to do & people to serve.
Want to join us? Head to www.givingbackeasily.com to sign up as a group and help the community.